Global News - Redeem the Oppressed

The Global Silence on Modern Day Slavery

Despite being in the 21st century, slavery remains a profoundly disturbing issue worldwide. Alarmingly, even the nations housing these enslaved individuals seem paralyzed, unable to eradicate this egregious violation of human rights. The reality is, millions find themselves ensnared in an archaic system where they are treated as mere property, stripped of their dignity and freedom.

The Unnerving Numbers Behind Modern Slavery

Estimates by prominent global organizations paint a grim picture of modern slavery. The United Nations reports approximately 40.3 million individuals are living as modern slaves, while a Gallup survey suggests this number could be as high as 45.8 million. Accurately pinpointing the exact number is challenging due to the clandestine nature of this heinous crime against humanity.

A staggering 80% of these slaves are exploited in various labor industries, and the remaining 20% are coerced into the sex trade. More than half the victims are women and children, subjected to inhumane conditions. While it may be hard for many to fathom, today’s slavery is as brutal and inhuman as it has ever been in the past.

Understanding Chattel Slavery

One of the severest forms of slavery is chattel slavery, where individuals are treated as personal property of their owners, who exert control over them indefinitely. This form of slavery extends down familial lines, often entrapping generations. Trapped in a vicious cycle, these individuals labor relentlessly without compensation, their lives dictated by their oppressor’s whims.

The Crisis in Asia

The prevalence of slavery is notably acute in Asia, where approximately 25 million people are denied freedom and a fair wage, compelled to work incessantly. Often, any compensation they receive is usurped to service debts that hauntingly never diminish, further anchoring them in bondage.

Efforts to Combat Slavery in High-Risk Regions

In Pakistan, which ranks third globally in slavery prevalence, the situation is particularly dire, especially concerning child labor. Over the past four years, significant strides have been made through the efforts of activists like Mr. Davies (one of our Founding Board Member) and his teams, who have managed to rescue over 30,000 individuals forced into labor in harsh environments such as brick kilns, cultivation, and factories.

The Mission of Redeem the Oppressed

Organizations like Redeem the Oppressed are at the forefront, committed to ending global slavery. Their relentless pursuit to liberate the enslaved and protect the vulnerable underscores an urgent call for a global awakening and action against this deep-seated injustice.

Global Call to Action

Ending modern slavery requires a unified, worldwide effort. It demands not only awareness but also a robust commitment from global citizens, policymakers, and international bodies to enact and enforce laws that abolish slavery in all its forms.

Join us in supporting organizations like Redeem the Oppressed. Together, we can make a significant impact and restore dignity and freedom to millions. Change begins with awareness, and action can end slavery.

By Max Gibson

Max Gibson, also known as Mosheh, holds a bachelor's degree in computer science and has competed on his college's crew, cross country and track and field teams. Max co-founded the College Republicans and has run successful businesses, including Apex Web Services, which serves as CTO for non-profits Farrukh Saif Foundation and 'Emergency Committee to Save the Persecuted and Enslaved.' He has been in a leadership position in the non-profit sector since 2011. In addition to his business pursuits, Max is a combat veteran of three major wars and is known for his generosity and strong belief in God.
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x